1. For ten points each, name these singers who have turned to becoming paramedics:
- It was reported in November 2004 that this former Van Halen frontman was training to be a paramedic in New York.
Answer: David Lee Roth
- The star and lead singer of the made-for-TV band The Heights, he had a solo hit in 1995 with "Hold On." He is now a paramedic with the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
Answer: Jamie Walters
- A late 60s/early 70s teen idol, he portrayed Jeremy Bolt on TV’s Here Come the Brides and had Top 10 hits with 1969's "Little Woman" and 1970's "Easy Come, Easy Go." He is now a paramedic trainer with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department in California.
Answer: Bobby Sherman
2. On 24, the techies come in all looks, shapes and sizes. Identify the computer experts from the fourth season of the show from clues, for ten points each.
- AKA “Potato Face” by Television Without Pity, Mary Lynn Rajskub plays this annoying but effective analyst who quit halfway through season four after disobeying orders to help Jack Bauer.
Answer: Chloe O’Brien
- Maybe there aren’t physical fitness tests to work at CTU, if this Louis Lombardi character is any indication. This big but lisping techie has to deal with his mom’s suicide during a nuclear plant meltdown.
Answer: Edgar Styles
- Nicknamed “Special Agent Breck” by Television Without Pity, Lana Parrilla plays this brunette bombshell techie who was undeservedly tortured after being framed for being a mole. Michelle would later fire her.
Answer: Sarah Gavin
3. For ten points each, what countries won these team sports at the 2004
Answer: Republic of Cuba
- Men's soccer.
Answer: República Argentina
- Men's gymnastics, the normal kind, not that rhythmic crap.
4. For ten points each, name the law school of these John Grisham protagonists. If the book and movie differ, go with the book.
- Mitch McDeere in The Firm.
Answer: Harvard University
- Darby Shaw in The Pelican Brief.
Answer: Tulane University
- Ellen Roark in A Time to Kill. Hint: she is a student at the
same law school that Grisham attended.
Answer: University of Mississippi or Ole Miss
5. VISUAL BONUS. Based on the rules promulgated by the International Center for Bathroom Etiquette and Drinknation.com, given each of these urinal scenarios, give the number of the proper urinal to use in each case (numbered 1-6
going left from right) on a 5-10-20-30 basis. None is a possible answer.
Answer: a. 6 b. 1 OR 6 c. 4 d. None
6. Not all recycling is good for the environment. Identify these reality show contestants recycled onto other shows, for ten points each.
- The Amazing Race has now recycled contestants from two CBS shows, most recently this pair that finished 1-2 in Survivor All-Stars. Ten points, all or nothing.
Answer: Rob Mariano and Amber Brkich
- This large comedian and runner-up on the original Last Comic Standing was a perfect candidate to appear on VH-1’s Celebrity Fit Club.
Answer: Ralphie May
- In the ultimate recycling effort, she won Andrew Firestone’s hand on The Bachelor, broke up with him, then became The Bachelorette and rejected final choice Jerry on the last episode.
Answer: Jen Schefft (accept either part)
7. Identify the Major League Baseball player given acting roles, for ten points each.
- He appeared as the baseball coach in Richie Rich, but is probably more famous for playing the brainwashed assassin in The Naked Gun.
Answer: Reggie Jackson
- While with the New York Mets, this outfielder played himself in Men in Black, where a UFO causes him to be hit in the head with a fly ball.
Answer: Bernard Gilkey
- Along with Bobby Bonilla and Pedro Guerrero, he was one of the three real major leaguers to play a strikeout victim in Rookie of the Year. On TV, he was a player who hired Nash Bridges and Joe Dominguez to find his Ford Pinto.
Answer: Barry Bonds
8. They've starred in 3 movies and their cartoon ran on Nickelodeon for 13 years, so you should know the Rugrats by now. For ten points each:
- Voiced originally by Christine Cavanagh, this Rugrat, the red-haired best friend of Tommy Pickles, is now voiced by Nancy Cartwright.
Answer: Chuckie Fenster
- All or nothing, Kath Soucie voices both of these fraternal twins, as well as their mother Betty. They are normally distinguishable only by the bow in the girl's hair.
Answer: Phillip and Lillian DeVille
- Many Rugrats cartoons involve this Godzilla-like movie creature, a hero to the Rugrats and namesake of a 2000 Rugrats video game.
9. (AUDIO) Given a clip of music, identify the performing artist for five points, and for another five, name the artist that successfully sued the other for copyright infringement and/or illegal sampling.
- Clip 39
Answer: The Verve; Rolling Stones
- Clip 40
Answer: Biz Markie; Gilbert O’Sullivan
- Clip 41
Answer: Elastica; Wire
10. March 2005 saw the first annual Porn Star Beauty Pageant. For ten points each:
- Name the host of this event, who may take future editions of this event to Sirius Satellite Radio, where he will host a show and program two channels beginning in 2006.
Answer: Howard Stern
- Another judge was this actor best known for his twelve-year relationship with Dionne Warwick and for his role as Carlo Rizzi in The Godfather.
Answer: Gianni Russo
- The winner was what star of almost 200 scenes since 2002, now under contract to New Sensations, an AVN Award nominee in 2005 for Best Anal Sex Scene for her work with Manuel Ferrera in Anal Perversions?
Answer: Taylor Rain
11. For ten points each, name these Elton John albums:
- This album included "Candle In the Wind" and "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting," in addition to the title track that references The Wizard of Oz.
Answer: Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road
- "Love Song," "Burn Down the Mission," and "Ballad of a Well-Known Gun" are songs on this 1971 concept album relating to the American Wild West.
Answer: Tumbleweed Connection
- This 1975 album is an autobiographical look at the early struggles of Elton John and Bernie Taupin, who are the "raised and regimented" and "still green and growing" title characters of the title track.
Answer: Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy
12. It's not softcore porn: it’s HBO. And it's also soft core porn. For ten points each, given descriptions, identify HBO’s trashy adult programming, none of which (thankfully) stars Larry David.
- This examination of the adult film industry in the San Fernando valley features interviews with Violet Blue, Jenna Jameson and Katie Morgan – and footage of people making porn. A film prof provides context, allowing the audience to pretend they aren’t watching porn.
Answer: Pornucopia: Going Down in the Valley
- This segment of America Undercover was so popular it spawned a sequel. It focuses on prostitutes at Nevada’s Moonlight Bunny Ranch doing things like negotiating with customers, sunbathing in the nude and attending lame staff meetings.
- This long running documentary series has featured Punani poets, the making of the Real Doll, a sex circus, tantric sex workshops and lots of footage of unattractive, middle aged, nude white suburbanites.
Answer: Real Sex
13. 40-30-20-10-1 Name the thespian.
Answer: Al Pacino
- (40) This thespian has appeared in films that have been released on VHS and DVD.
- (30) Before Jamie Foxx in 2005, this was the last man to receive Oscar nominations for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor in the same year.
- (20) Between 1973 and 1980, this man was nominated for the Best Actor Oscar five times, losing all five.
- (10) In 1993, he was nominated for the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for Glengarry Glen Ross, and lost. In the same year, he was nominated for Best Actor for Scent of a Woman, and won.
- (1) Find more about this actor at The Ultimate Al Pacino Page, a Geocities site which has not been updated in more than six years.
14. Identify these uses for Dodger Stadium for purposes other than Dodger games for ten points each.
- Dodger Stadium portrayed the home of the New York Empires in this 2004 CBS baseball drama.
- The end of this movie saw Lane Meyer drive his French girlfriend (and Dodger fan) Monique to home plate of Dodger Stadium after he won the big ski race. A maniacal kid on his bike followed along.
Answer: Better Off Dead
- For some reason, the video for this Fleetwood Mac song features the band cavorting with the USC marching band on the grounds of Chavez Ravine rather than at the L-A Coliseum.
15. Name these players signed to NFL Europe contracts in 2005, for ten points each.
- This quarterback and third overall pick in the 1999 draft, who went
nowhere in runs with the Bengals and Packers, joined the Frankfurt Galaxy
Answer: Akili Smith
- The 2001 Heisman Trophy winner, this Nebraska quarterback joined
the Hamburg Sea Devils as a defensive back.
Answer: Eric Crouch
- This running back and son of Sweetness was allocated by the
Tennessee Titans and signed with Amsterdam.
Answer: Jarrett Payton (more on "Payton")
16. Nerds rejoice! The new "Walk of Game" honors the legends of the video
game industry. For ten points each:
- The Walk of Game, which opened in 2005, is located inside the Metreon Center in this west coast city.
Answer: San Francisco
- One of the first recipients of a Walk of Game star is this co-founder of Atari who introduced Pong to arcades worldwide.
Answer: Nolan Bushnell
- Also receiving a star is this Japanese national, who created the coin-op classic Donkey Kong, and is considered the man who unleashed Mario on the world.
Answer: Shigeru Miyamoto
17. TV pioneer Paul Henning died in March 2005 at age 91. This shocked TRASH, as we all thought he passed on 20 years ago. Answer the following about Henning, for ten points each.
- Henning created this hit CBS sitcom in 1962, as well as wrote its theme song, "The Ballad of Jed Clampett."
Answer: The Beverly Hillbillies
- Henning also created this Beverly Hillbillies spinoff, which premiered in 1963, and focused on hotel owner Kate Bradley and her three daughters, Billie Jo, Bobbie Jo and Betty Jo.
Answer: Petticoat Junction
- Henning also wrote the 1964 film Bedtime Story, which served as the basis for this 1988 comic caper starring Steve Martin and Michael Caine.
Answer: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
18. For the stated number of points, given types of a kind of produce, name it. For example, if I said Delicious and Fuji, you would answer 'apple.'
- (5) Bosc and Anjou.
- (10) Hass and Florida.
- (15) Damson or Damask, and Greengage.
19. For ten points each, answer these questions about the antics of Cameron
- It is Duke tradition to say what slang adieu to a player who has
- In a December 2003 game, Mike Krzyzewski got pissed when Duke fans
called for the firing of what close personal friend, whose St. John's team
was getting its ass handed to it at the time?
Answer: Mike Jarvis
- When the Cameron Crazies learned how to chant "airball" in German in
1985, they were just being hospitable to what school, whose roster at the
time included Christian Welp and Detlef Schrempf?
Answer: University of Washington
20. The world of comics is full of family dynamics that make the people on
Dr. Phil seem normal. For ten points each, given descriptions of bad blood in his or her
family, name the comic character
- His mother was murdered while giving birth to him, but the attack made
him immune to the powers of her killer. His surrogate father, Jamal Afari,
was turned by an enemy and this hero was forced to kill him.
- His mother, Mystique, and father, the demonic Azazel, abandoned him as
in infant. Raised by gypsies, he ended up in the circus.
Answer: Nightcrawler (also accept Kurt Wagner)
- She never knew her birth parents and was raised by an adoptive family
in the south and later by Mystique and Destiny, a lesbian couple.
21. For ten points each, answer these questions about the first live show for the Sex Pistols:
- The Sex Pistols were opening for Bazooka Joe, whose lead vocalist Stuart Goddard later became famous under this alliterative stage name.
Answer: Adam Ant
- The abbreviated five-song set included a cover of "Whatcha Gonna Do About It?" by this British psychedelic act whose biggest U.S. hit was "Itchycoo Park." They later dropped the adjective in their name after adding Ron Wood and Rod Stewart.
Answer: The Small Faces (prompt on "Faces")
- The Pistols also covered this Who classic about a girl who settles for a guy who looks white but whose father is black.
22. Five points each and a five point bonus for all five. Given a title, tell me if it's the title of a Tori Spelling TV movie, a gay porn movie,
both or neither.
- Shooting Stars
- The Road to Temptation
- 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover
- The Three Kings
Answer: Tori (1987 TV movie)
- California Kings