1. For five points each, given lyrics, name the recent rock song and the act who performs it.
- "Someone finds salvation in everyone / and another only fame. / Someone tries to hide themself / down inside their selfish brain."
Answer: "Be Yourself", Audioslave
- " Can I come inside there? / I want to show you all my love. / I want to be the only one. / I know you like nobody ever, baby."
Answer: "Little Sister", Queens of the Stone Age
- "I tear my heart open, I sew myself shut. / My weakness is that I care too much."
Answer: "Scars", Papa Roach
2. (VISUAL) Identify these television channels based on their logos, for ten points each. You will have ten seconds to begin your answer.
Answer: Animal Planet
Answer: Public Broadcasting System
3. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire will soon arrive in theaters. Til
then, we'll just have to write bonuses about the book. For ten points each, given clues,
answer questions about the fourth book in J.K. Rowling's acclaimed series.
- Hogwarts is a-buzz with excitement over this contest with two other
rival wizarding schools.
Answer: The Triwizard Tournament
- Fleur Delacor, a love interest for Ron Weasley, enters the tournament
for what French institution of magical learning?
Answer: Beaux Batons
- Though Harry Potter is mysteriously entered in the tournament and participates for Hogwarts, this unlucky Hufflepuff is the intended representative.
Answer: Cedric Diggory (accept either)
4. For ten points each, name these African-American pitchers who won at least 20 games in one season.
- The first African-American to win 20 games, this Brooklyn Dodger hit the mark in 1951, and remains the only winner of the major league’s Holy Trinity: MVP, Cy Young Award and Rookie of the Year.
Answer: Don Newcombe
- The last African-American to accomplish this feat was this stern-faced Oakland right-hander, who won at least 20 games in 1987, 1988 and 1989.
Answer: Dave Stewart
- Known primarily as the guy who gave up Hank Aaron's 715th homer, he won 20 games in 1971 for the Dodgers.
Answer: Al Downing
5. Identify these card games from Steve Jackson Games, for ten points each.
- Unnatural Axe, Clerical Errors and Blender are expansion packs for this card game, which captures the dungeon experience with none of that stupid role-playing stuff. Items in this game include the Horny Helmet and Boots of Buttkicking.
- Winner of the Origins Award for Best Traditional Card Game of 1999, this game requires players to become roommates and try to get enough Slack to overcome the stress of your job.
Answer: Chez Geek
- In this card game, you must collect the souls of the damned, including mass murderers, cannibals and clerics, as well as build sets of the Seven Deadly Sins.
Answer: Burn in Hell
6. 40-30-20-10-1, name the city
Answer: Omaha, Nebraska
- (40) People live there. Or lived there.
- (30) In the Harry Turtledove book In the Presence of Mine Enemies, it is the capital of a Nazi-dominated United States after Washington is nuked in the 1960s.
- (20) The Division 1 men's college hockey team that calls it home plays at the Qwest Center.
- (10) Alexander Payne sets his films, including Election and About Schmidt in this, his hometown. Other famous people from here include Marlon Brando, Henry Fonda, and Fred Astaire.
- (1) Annie Duke won one of the pot limit Omaha events at the 2004 World Series of Poker in a poker variant that shares its name with this Midwest city.
7. For ten points each, answer these questions about events at this year's Bay Hill Invitational.
- This golfer regained the number one world ranking, as he finished tied for second while Tiger Woods duffed his way around to finish out of the top 20.
Answer: Vijay Singh
- Vijay wasn't too happy about getting back to number one given that his late charge - making up a three shot deficit in three holes - was negated by a double bogey on 18, giving the tournament to this man.
Answer: Kenny Perry
- 18 was also a tough hole for this man, who took the movie Tin Cup a little too much to heart when he tried to play a ball in the rocks four times. He would take a drop and finish the hole with an 11, which isn't his highest score for a hole at Bay Hill - he took an 18 on the sixth in 1998.
Answer: John Daly
8. Premiere magazine calls him the top film icon of all time, but what do you know about Cary Grant? For ten points each:
- Grant's most famous role was probably as Roger Thornhill in this 1959 Alfred Hitchcock film, where Grant is chased through a cornfield by a crop-duster.
Answer: North By Northwest
- Contrary to popular belief, and contrary to the act of every Cary Grant impersonator in the world, Grant never said this female first name in triplicate in his films.
- Grant plays a man who learns that his kindly old aunts and his sinister brother are all serial killers in this 1944 Frank Capra comedy-thriller.
Answer: Arsenic and Old Lace
9. (AUDIO) Given a clip of dialogue from Office Space, identify the character speaking, for ten points each.
- Clip 35
Answer: Bill Lumbergh (either acceptable)
- Clip 36
Answer: Tom Smykowski (either acceptable)
- Clip 37
10. Everyone knows the main characters in a show, but do you know the supporting cast? Given a list of the title character's best friends, identify the show for ten points each.
- Cherie Johnson, Margeaux Kramer, Allen Anderson
Answer: Punky Brewster
- Reggie Kostas, Maragaret Wyborn, Linda, Jake Malinak, Bob
- Whitey Whitney, Gilbert, Larry Mondello, Richard Rickover
Answer: Leave it to Beaver
11. In 2005, P. Diddy launched Making the Band 3, which will end in the creation of an all-girl group. For ten points each:
- The original, thankfully P. Diddy-free Making the Band resulted in the creation of this boy band which sang "Liquid Dreams" and "All or Nothing."
- Making the Band 2 saw Mr. Diddy form this hip-hop sextet, which released one album, 2003's Too Hot for TV, before Mr. Diddy broke them up.
Answer: Da Band
- P. Diddy’s managerial experience with all-girl groups goes back to this L.A. quartet, which had a Top 10 hit in 2000 with "He Loves You Not."
12. During this year's Super Bowl, FedEx Kinko's ran an ad that included what they claimed were the ten required elements of a Super Bowl ad. For five points each, name any six of them.
Answer: celebrity, animal, dancing animal, cute kid, groin kick, talking animal, attractive females, product message, famous pop song, bonus ending
13. Oh, to be Aaron Eckhart. Despite mediocre acting skills, he's managed to co-star with all four 2005 Oscar-winning actors. For the stated number of points:
- (5) Eckhart played offensive coordinator Nick Crozier, who had to deal with quarterback Jamie Foxx, in this 1999 Oliver Stone film.
Answer: Any Given Sunday
- (5) If anything good came out of Eckhart's work in this 2003 sci-fi bomb, it's that he got to star in a film with two-time, two-time, two-time Oscar winner Hilary Swank.
Answer: The Core
- (10) Eckhart played Del Sizemore in this 2000 Neil LaBute movie about a widow's obsession with a soap star. Morgan Freeman co-stars.
Answer: Nurse Betty
- (10) This 2003 Ron Howard film saw Eckhart co-star with Cate Blanchett.
Answer: The Missing
14. For ten points each, all or nothing, name any four members of these
fabulous fives, none of whom are Russian composers or gay men:
- The first class of inductees into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
Answer: George Herman "Babe" Ruth. Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, Christy
Matthewson, and Honus Wagner
- Michigan's Fab Five freshmen who made the NCAA finals in 1992.
Answer: Chris Webber, Jimmy King, Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard, and Ray
- The Detroit Red Wings' "Russian Five" -- the first all-Russian five-man unit in NHL history.
Answer: Slava Fetisov, Igor Larionov, Sergei Fedorov, Slava Kozlov, Vladimir Konstantinov
15. Space: the final frontier...of the classic sci-fi novel. For ten points each, given
titles, name the authors of old school space fiction. If you need a less
obscure work, you'll get five.
- (10) Tau Zero
(5) Harvest of Stars
Answer: Poul Anderson
- (10) The Fountains of Paradise
(5) 2001: A Space Odyssey
Answer: Arthur C(harles) Clarke
- (10) Citizen of the Galaxy
(5) Stranger in a Strange Land
Answer: Robert Heinlein
16. Identify these Burger King menu items, for ten points each.
- Two slices of melted American cheese, two fluffy eggs stuffed with three bacon strips and a sausage patty on a toasted bun equals this cardiac breakfast treat.
Answer: The Enormous Omelet Sandwich
- Formerly known as the Whaler, this is Burger King's answer to McDonald's Filet-O-Fish.
Answer: BK Big Fish
- Morningstar Farms provides this meatless sandwich for Burger King.
Answer: BK Veggie
17. Answer these questions about the post-Buffy career of everyone’s favorite lesbian Wiccan, Alyson Hannigan, for ten points each.
- Hannigan still maintains some ties to the Buffy universe as she married this Angel actor, who played Wesley Wyndam-Pryce, in 2003.
Answer: Alexis Denisof
- Hannigan appeared on this UPN show, a sort of a follow-up to Buffy, as Trina, the bitchy half-sister of Logan, who in turn is the nemesis of this Kristin Bell title character.
Answer: Veronica Mars
- She tackled sitcoms in 2003 on this long-running Fox show as a police academy cadet who caused a love triangle between Kelso and Fez.
Answer: That ‘70s Show
18. For ten points each, name these unusual creatures:
- Sighted near Point Pleasant on the Ohio-West Virginia border, it was the name given in 1966 and '67 to reports of a winged, man-shaped creature.
- Just in case it actually exists, Vermont placed this sea monster on its Endangered Species list.
- Seen in south Florida and resembling an orangutan, this Bigfoot-like creature is named for its horrendous odor.
Answer: Skunk Ape
19. 40-30-20-10-1 Name the musical act.
Answer: Boyz II Men
- (40) This musical act has recorded tracks for sale at major and minor record stores.
- (30) This act, now a trio, released its seventh album in 2004, the all-covers compilation Throwback, which includes "Sara Smile," "Human Nature" and "Let It Whip."
- (20) Originally called Unique Attraction, they take their current name from a New Edition song, and signed a management deal a year later with New Edition member Michael Bivins.
- (10) Hits for this R-and-B group include "Motownphilly," "End of the Road" and "It’s So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday."
- (1) Learn more about this group on its official website, Boyz II Men-dot-com.
20. Name these off-strip Las Vegas hotels that host TV casino shows, for ten points each.
- The finals remain at Binion's Horseshoe, but preliminary play at the World Series of Poker now takes place at this Harrah's all-suite property with a Mardi Gras theme.
Answer: Rio Suites
- The first season of GSN's Poker Royale was taped at the poker room of this Coast Casino property, located on Tropicana Avenue, which has a French Quarter theme.
Answer: The Orleans
- Bravo's Celebrity Poker Showdown is filmed at this Maloof Brothers casino, which was also home to MTV's Real World: Las Vegas.
21. In 2005, Tennessee women’s basketball coach Pat Summitt won her 880th
career game, passing Dean Smith on the all-time list, men and women, for
wins by a head coach. For ten points each:
- This long-time coach of the Texas women’s team is also a member of
the 800-win club, having won 869 games in her 36-year career.
Answer: Jody Conradt
- In his final season as head coach, Dean Smith passed this longtime
Kentucky coach to become the all-time winning coach among Division One
basketball head coaches.
Answer: Adolph Rupp
- This is the only active coach of a men’s Division One basketball
program in the 800-win club.
Answer: Bob Knight
22. Boxing movies for the stated number of points.
- (5) This was Martin Scorsese's 1980 biopic of boxer Jake LaMotta.
Answer: Raging Bull
- (10) Anthony Quinn is a fading boxer who must deal with poor health and a manager that doesn't believe in him in this 1962 film.
Answer: Requiem for a Heavyweight
- (5) The Ali-Foreman "Rumble in the Jungle" is the subject of this 1996 documentary.
Answer: When We Were Kings
- (10) Paul Newman stars in this 1956 biopic of boxing great Rocky Graziano, which featured Steve McQueen in his film debut.
Answer: Somebody Up There Likes Me