Tossups by Penn Lily Pod's gym
1. In the 1980's Columbia University set the NCAA record for consecutive losses in football. Of course, some team had to break that record. FTP, name this southern, all-black university that has not won a game in the 1990's.
A: PRAIRIE VIEW
2. She played Kristy on the TV series 1st & Ten, Diana Hunter on Falcon Crest, and Savannah Wilder on Days of Our Lives. Movies starred in, include: The Dark Dancer, Electram Possessed by the Night, Body Chemistry IV: Full Exposure, Hard Vice, and Illicit Dreams. FTP, name this soft-porn star whose movies can be seen in the wee hours of the morning on HBO, Showtime, and the Movie Channel.
A: SHANNON TWEED
3. Coming soon on FOX, Steve Kessler, played by Judge Reinhold, realizes his dream when he gets to guard the President. But not everyone is so thrilled by this new addition, especially Kessler's boss, Frank
McClellan, played by Michael McKean. FTP, name this new show soon to be aired on FOX.
A: SECRETSERVICE GUY
4. Name's the same. One is a Republican, who on October 31, 1980, was trailing Bill Clinton 56% to 34% in the polls for Arkansas Governor, but came back and defeated Clinton. The other was the All-Star second baseman for the Kansas City Royals in the 1980s. FTP, what is their common name?
A: Frank White
5. Indian Outlaw, Country Boys and Girls Gettin Down on the Farm, and All I Want is a Life are some of this country music star's hit songs. Just recently, his engagement to female country music star Faith Hill was
announced. FTP, name this country music star, son of the Philadelphia Phillies relief pitcher who closed out the Kansas City Royals in the 1980 World Series.
A: Tim McGraw
6. The Florida Panthers turned many heads last season, as they reached the Stanley Cup Finals faster than any expansion team in league history, doing so in only three years. However, this other NHL franchise
still holds the record for winning the Stanley Cup faster than any other expansion team, accomplishing the feat only 8 years after their inaugural season in 1972. For Ten Points, name this team, the last major American team sports club to win four consecutive league championships.
Answer: New York _Islanders_(prompt on: New York)
7. For a quick ten points name the erstwhile psychologist who plays centerfield for Charlie Brown's baseball team and holds on Charlie Brown's field goal attempts.
Answer: _Lucy_ Van Pelt
8. This albumís cover showed a mass of black-clad people trapped in the beam of a searchlight. Some of them were random studio workers, some were random celebrities, and three of them were actually in the band. Its songs include "1985" and "Jet." For ten points, name this album whose title track tells the story of being pursued by Sailor Sam and the Jailer Man, the most successful album by "Wings."
Answer: _Band on the Run_
9. The real Juliana Hatfield and the fictitious Donna Martin. Former Laker A.C. Greene and, until the end of the movie version of "Dragnet," Connie Swail. For ten points, these four figures all share this common characteristic, which puts them at risk of being abducted for ritual sacrifice by satanic groups worldwide.
10. In a 1991 review, New York Times music critic, John Pareles described this artist as "a third-rate rapper", "a diligently ungraceful dancer", "and one of the smarmiest new pop figures in a decade of video poseurs" although Pareles did admit that this artist "certainly had well-engineered hair", FTP stop, collaborate and listen and name this rapper whose album To the Extreme sold way too many copies.
Answer: Vanilla Ice
11. Jackie was electrocuted at age 6 in 1959. David was found dead in his hotel room under "mysterious circumstance" in Japan in 1984. Mike died as a result of an intentional drug overdose in 1987. Chris shot himself dead at the age of 21 in 1991. Kerry also died as result of a self-inflicted gun shot wound in 1993 which left Kevin as the only living son of father Fritz of FTP which wrestling clan which dominated World
Class Wrestling in the mid-1980's?
Answer: The _von Erich_s
(Moderatorís note: read tossup in the style of Jerry Seinfeld)
12. What is the deal with this tossup? Itís not like Iím tossing anything. And why is it trash? I worked hard for this. You know, if Iím going to a trash tournament I expect to see real trash or at least some low quality paper products. Iím very disappointed. FTP, these sound like the stylings of this Jewish comedian, television star, and boy-toy of Shoshana Lonstein.
Answer: Jerry _Seinfeld_
13. In 1984 he directed the screen version of the S.E. Hinton novel "Rumblefish" and a year earlier he adapted yet another Hinton novel for the big screen, "The Outsiders." Ftp, name this director of such films as "Peggy Sue Got Married" and "Bram Stoker's Dracula," who is probably best known for "Apocalypse Now" and "The Godfather" trilogy.
A: Francis Ford _Coppola_
14. Timesteps, Overture to the Sun, The Theiving Magpie, Pomp and Circumstance, William Tell Overture, excerpts from Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, and Singing in the Rain, are all found on the soundtrack of, FTP, what film directed by Stanley Kubrick and based on a novel by Anthony Burgess?
A: _A Clockwork Orange_
15. His one acting job was as the Cook County Assessor in the "Blues Brothers" movie, and his big screen directorial debut came with the film "Sugarland Express" in 1974. He later directed such films as "1941,"
"Empire of the Sun," and "The Color Purple." FTP, name this giant of the film industry, best known for films like "Jaws" and " Jurassic Park."
A: Stephen _Spielberg_
16. Thanks to a pardon from Jerry Ford, Congress never "Socked it to Richard Nixon" in 1974. Perhaps this was because "Tricky Dick" had already been duly socked in 1968. This "socking" was delivered by none less than Alan Sues, Artie Johnson, Henry Gibson, Ruth Buzzie, Johanne Worley, Lily Tomlin, and Goldie Hawn . FTP, name the late 60's variety show, featuring the aforementioned cast, which gave us such memorable lines as "Sock it to me!" and "Here come the judge!"?
A: Rowan and Martin's _Laugh In_
17. This show first aired in 1982 on ABC, but due to low ratings only lasted a mere 6 episodes, all which can be seen on Comedy Central from time to time. FTP, name this comedy which spawned 3 successful films by Zucker, Abrams, Zucker, with Leslie Nielson reprising his role as Leut. Frank Drebin.
A: _Police Squad_
18. With lines like "I just made love to your sweet memory, one thousand times with my hand, "and "I'm dumb, she a lesbian. I thought I had found the one, "they sum up much of the angst of the Generation-X man. This band, which followed up its multi-platinum self-titled debut with the September release of "Pinkerton", is fronted by Harvard student Rivers Cuomo. For ten points, name this band noted for their portrayal of geek love in the now mercifully fading from memory "Buddy Holly."
Answer: _Weezer _
19. "Tacos Can Cure the Clap, Warn Italian Physicists,""Alien Backs Clinton,""Bat Child Found in Cave,"Christy Brinkley Is Really My Mother, Insists Bob Dole," "I Spoke to Elvis through a Mango, reveals writer," and "Rat Boy Found in Crete"are --for ten points--some of the ridiculous headlines printed each week by this supermarket tabloid, the world's 9th largest paper in circulation according to May MacKenzie in the film "So I Married an Axe Murderer?"
Answer: The _Weekly World News _
20. Although he was offered patronage by Xiombarg (ZHOM-barg) and Yyrkoon (yer-KOON), he was a champion of Arioch, Knight of Swords. His faithful sidekick was his albino servant, Moonglum. For ten points, name this warrior and wizard, wielder of "Stormbringer" in the works of Michael Moorcock.
Answer _Elric_ of Melnibone
21. "The other night I tripped a nice continental drift divide, Mount Saint Edelite, Leonard Berstein! Leonid Brezhnev, Lenny Bruce and Lester Bangs. Birthday party, cheesecake, jelly bean, boom! You symbiotic, patriotic, slam, but neck, right? Right. "concludes which 1987 apocalyptic tune, possibly the most popular R.E.M. song?
Answer: _It's the End of the World as We Know It_(and I feel fine)
22. Although she had an abortion after her first sexual experience, she must have enjoyed fornication, as she went on to become a celebrated porn starlet. Beginning in 1984, her works include some 107 underage
pornographic films, along with five legal porn flicks filmed in the late 80's. She made her big screen debut in the B-film "Not of This Earth", and later accepted an MTV Video Music Award on behalf of Guns N'Roses. For Ten Points, name this porn queen turned actress turned musician, whose most recent efforts include the Steven King mini-series "Tommyknockers", and the albums "1000 Fires"and "Fallen Angel".
Answer: Traci _Lords_(accept Norma _Kuzmaor_ Kristie _Nussman_)
23. FAQTP name this major league baseball manager who has managed more games than anyone else without making it to the World Series?
Answer: Gene _Mauch_
24. Scott Valentine, Tracy Pollen, Courtney Cox, Michael Gross, Tina Youthers, and Justine Bateman were all on, FTP, what cheesy 80s show about those boring Keatons and their annoying son Alex, played by Michael J. Fox?
A: _Family Ties_
25. The Flower in Bloom, Throat-High, Sky-Foot, The Monkey, The Mare's Trick, Crushing Spices, The Swastika, The Knot of Fame, The Victory, The Thunderbolt, The Deer, and The Dog all are sexual positions described in great detail in--for ten points--which ancient Hindu text attributed to Vatasyayana, who is possibly the world's first recorded porn star.
Answer: The _Kama Sutra_
26. ESPN SportsCenter and National Hockey Night were two programs that he hosted. He also served as a commentator during the NHL play-offs. He came up through the ranks at ESPN with Chris Berman in the late 70's. Unfortunately, this summer, he drowned in his swimming pool while trying to save his daughter. FTP, who was this orignal host of ESPN SPORTSCENTER.
Answer: _TOM MEES_
Bonuses by Penn Lily Pad's Gym
1. When people think of Broadway Musicals, the name Andrew Lloyd Webber often comes to mind. This bonus will test your knowledge of his musicals.
A-5each) What 3 Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals are currently playing on Broadway?
A: _CATS_, _PHANTOM OF THE OPERA_, _SUNSET BOULEVARD_
B-5) Next for five points, what is the Webber musical that is not currently on Broadway, but Madonna just made a movie about her.
C-5each) Sunset Boulevard, Webber's most recent musical, has had only 3 leading ladies. Name any the 3 performers to have played the leading role.
A: _GLENN CLOSE_, _BETTY BUCKLEY_, _ELAINE PAIGE_ (currently playing lead role)
2) . 30-20-10 Name the Performer
A-30) She's the only person in the US to have had her age legally lowered by 10 years.
B-20) This retroactively makes her only 11 years old when she married Xavier Cougat.
C-10) Spanish Las Vegas performer, whose "hootchie-cootchie" antics propelled her to stardom.
3. FTP each, identify the album on which these Frank Zappa songs were first released.
A) Dancing Fool A: SHEIKH YERBOUTI
B) My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama A: WEASELS RIPPED MY FLESH
C) Peaches En Regalia A: HOT RATS
4. Remember Four Weddings & a Funeral? The low-budget comedy hit, directed by University of Pennsylvania alum Mike Newell, starring Hugh "I like to do it in a cab" Grant and Andie MacDowell. As the title implies, there are four weddings and a funeral. FFPE and a bonus 5 for all correct, name the characters involved in the 4 weddings and the funeral.
A: ANGUS & LAURA (wedding #1), BERNARD & LYDIA (wedding #2), HAMISH & CARRIE (wedding #3), GARETH's funeral, CHARLES & DUCKFACE (also accept Henrietta or Hennie)
5. "You take the good, you take the bad, you add them up, and there you have, The Facts of Life, The Facts of Life." Yes, this is a bonus that tests your knowledge of the highly entertaining show with Jo, Blair,
Natalie, Tootie, Mrs. Garrett, and George, yes George Clooney. Answer the following questions FTP each.
A) First, what all-girls boarding school did the girls attend?
B) Now that you know that they went to Eastland, where was it located?
A: PEAKSKILL, NY
C) Towards the end of the show's run on ABC, Natalie went off to study and pursue a career in journalism in NYC and Tootie was still at Eastland, but what was the name of the college that Jo and Blair attended.
A: LANGLEY College
6. Here comes the dreaded food from around the world bonus. I will describe the food and tell you where it comes from. All you have to do is name the food for the stated number of points.
A-5) It is commonly referred to as a potato pancake, but what is the real
name of this Jewish food that should be dipped in apple sauce?
A: Potato LATKES
B-10) This Eastern European food is made up of barley and grains and is usually mixed with milk, but in Jewish cooking it is usually mixed with bowties.
C-15) This Russian food is a dumpling and it is usually filled with either meat or mushrooms.
A: PIROSHKI (DO NOT ACCEPT PIROGI, they are not the same thing. Trust a Russian on this one :)
7. FTP each, given a parody by Weird Al Yankovic, identify the musician who recorded the original.
A) Dog Eat Dog A: TALKING HEADS
B) The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota A: HARRY CHAPIN
C) I Lost on Jeopardy! A: The GREG KIHN BAND
8. Soccer is growing tremendously in the US. Amazingly, MLS survived its first season. No, this is not a bonus about MLS, but about the soccer world. Answer the following questions FTP each.
A) He was transferred from Slavia Prague to Manchester United after his incredible performance in Euro 96, leading the Czech Republic to the finals.
A: KAREL POBORSKY
B) After this Turkish club defeated Paris-St. Germain 4-2 in the UEFA CUP Winners Cup, an 11 year old boy grabbed the family rifle, firied it into the air in celebration and accidentally blew his sister's head off.
C) In World Cup Qualifying, this country is stunning the world, sitting atop of their group after 3 games with 7 points. They shocked Bulgaria 2-1 in Sofia and followed up with a 1-1 draw at Russia. FTP,
name this country, that is not in Europe, but is in the European groups for World Cup Qualifying.
9. 30-20-10 Name the basketball player
A-30) His then lucrative rookie shoe contract with Converse, paved the way for teammate Michael Jordan.
B-20) This Laker was once arrested for solicitation of a prostitute while on a road trip in Houston but was released just in time to play the second half of a game against the Rockets.
C-10) Recently named to the NBAís list of the 50 greatest players of all time, this UNC forward was the first pick of the 1982 NBA draft.
Answer: James _Worthy_
10. Given a synopsis of a 1980's science-fiction film, name it for the given amount of points.
A-5) First--for five points--Two brilliant teenagers head a team of young geniuses developing a laser for what they believe is a class project. When they find out that their professor intends to turn their work over to the government for use as a weapon, they decide to ruin his plans.
Answer: Real Genius
B-10) Bastion is a young boy who lives a dreary life being tormented by school bullies. He escapes into a book shop where the old proprietor reveals an ancient story-book to him, which he is warned can be dangerous. Shortly after, he "borrows" the book and begins to read it in the school attic where he is drawn into the mythical land of Fantasia, which desperately needs a hero to save it from destruction.
Answer: The Neverending Story
C-15) Three frat boys sneak into the Tri-Delt sorority to witness the initiation of new pledges and are
caught. The pledges must go to the local bowling lane and steal a trophy, aided by the unwanted frat boys. An accident causes the trophy to break, releasing an evil imp who then begins wreaking havoc with the teens, who begin suffering an attrition problem.
Answer: Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama
11. 30-20-10 Name the thief
A-30) In front of U.S. District Court judge Norma Holloway Johnson, this 68 year old pleaded guilty to two felonies, and receiving a 17 month prison term and a $100,000 fine, as dictated by the terms of his plea.
B-20) He was to face charges that he stole more than $640,000 in government funds in a series of schemes including hiring of "ghost employees" who gave him kickbacks in return for being included on his payroll.
C-10) In 1994 this former 18 term congressman from Illinois was defeated by political unknown Republican Michael Patrick Flanagan.
Answer: Dan _Rostenkowski_
12. What would a trash tournament be without a question about MTV's Beavis and Butthead. Besides, they have a chart-topping album, a best-selling book, a comic book series, a hot CD-ROM game, and are
now set to invade the box office this winter. For a really cool ten points each, I'll describe one of the morons' multimedia ventures, and you provide the title of it.
A) The duo's popular book, which hit the stands in 1994.
Answer: MTV's Beavis and Butthead in _This Book Sucks_
B) Their CD-ROM adventure, featuring new animation sequences and games such as "Hock-a-Loogie".
Answer: MTV's Beavis and Butthead in _Virtual Stupidity_
C) Their much anticipated full-feature motion picture debut, set for release in December.
Answer: MTV's _Beavis and Butthead Do America_
13. Along with the New York Yankees winning this year's World Series came many memories of the 1978 fall classic, the last time the Yankees were world champions. For ten points each, name:
A) Similar to the 1996 series against the Braves, the Bronx Bombers dropped the first two games of the series, only to sweep the next four games from this National club.
Answer: Los Angeles Dodgers (accept LA or Dodgers)
B) He batted .391 in the series, and pounded two home runs on the way to being named MVP.
Answer: Reggie Jackson(Reginald Jackson)
C) This Yankee hurler compiled an astounding 25-3 record in the regular season and was named the American league Cy Young Award Winner.
Answer: Ron _Guidry_
14. Every once in a while, a film comes along that seems to put world history into perspective. None has been more successful in recent times than Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. For four points each, name any the eight historical figures that William S. Preston, Esquire, and Ted Theodore Logan kidnapped en route to completing their history report and proliferating their band, Wyld Stallyns.
Answers: _Billy the Kid_ , _Socrates_, _Napoleon_ Bonaparte, Abraham _Lincoln_, _Joan of Arc_, Sigmund _Freud_, _Genghis Khan_, Ludwig Van _Beethoven_
15) You may know your family tree, but do you know the sitcom tree. Given a list of sitcoms, identify the spinoff relationships, for 5 points per correct relationship. The shows are: "Good Times", "The Jeffersons", "Maude", "All in the Family", "Whatís Happening", and "Gloria"
Answers: "Good Times" spun off "Maude" (ACCEPT EQUIVALENTS)
"Maude spun off "All in the Family"
"The Jeffersons" spun off "All in the Family"
"Whatís Happening" is not related to these shows
"Gloria" spun off "All in the Family"
16. Martin Scorsese is the greatest director of our generation, although Russ Meyer is a close second. FTP each and a total of thirty, given the actors who appeared in a Scorsese film, name the film.
A: Robert De Niro, Jerry Lewis, and Sandra Bernhard
A: _The King of Comedy_
B: Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci, and Cathy Moriarty
A: _Raging Bull_
C: Robert De Niro, Jodi Foster, and Cybil Shepherd
A: _Taxi Driver_
17. You remember the Smurfs, right? Sure, we all do. This bonus will test your knowledge of those annoying little blue things and their Saturday morning cartoon. Answer the following for the stated points.
A-10each) Name the only two humans who knew where the Smurf village was.
A: _Johann and PeeWee_
B-5) Name both the evil wizard and his cat who always tried to eat the Smurfs. (both answers required.)
A: _Gargomel and Azriel_
C-5): In apples, approximately how tall is a smurf?
A: _Three_ apples high
18. Name the actor 30-20-10, given the following films he's appeared in.
A-30) "Jeremiah Johnson" and "The Candidate"
B-20) "Legal Eagles" and "The Sting"
C-10) "Sneakers" and "Indecent Proposal"
A: Robert _Redford_
19. FTP each and a total of thirty, I'll give you a celluliod masterpiece and you give the directing genius who crafted it, and no, I'm not being sarcastic.
A: "The Paths of Glory" A: Stanley _Kubrick_
B: "The Graduate" A: Mike _Nichols_
C: "A Passage to India" A: David _Lean_
20. Since one of the authors of this packet is Ukrainian, you knew you were going to get the dreaded Olympics gymnastics bonus. The tough part is that this bonus includes both artistic and rhythmic gymnastics. For the stated number of points answer the following questions about Ukrainian gymnasts.
A-5) First for an easy five points, she stole the show at the Atlanta Olympics, winning gold in the all-around and on the Floor exercise, and taking silver on the beam.
A: LILIYA _PODKOPAYEVA_
B-10) Liliya was the second consecutive Ukrainian gymnast to win gold in the all-around. FTP, who won the women's all-around in Barcelona while competing for the Unified Team?
A: TATIANNA _GUTSU_
C-15) Now here's the tough one. The two favorites for gold in rhythmic gymnastics in Atlanta were defending World and Olympic Champion Maria Petrova of Bulgaria and Elena Vitrichenko of Ukraine, but who was the Ukrainian who surprised everyone with her flawless routines and took the gold, leaving her fellow countrywoman, Vitrichenko, with the bronze?
A: Ekaterina _SEREBRINSKAYA_
21. Although Fox has the highest turn-over rate for situation comedies, Married With Children is the longest running sit-com. Answer the following about this Fox stalwart for the stated number of points.
A-6) First--score a six point touchdown by naming the year in which Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in the city championship game for Polk High School.
B-10) Name the shoe store in which Al spend the better part of his day fitting the feet of fat women.
C-14) Expand the acronym NO MA'AM, the anti-feminist reactionary group of which Al is the president.
Answer: National Organization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood
22. Whatever happened to Andrew Dice Clay? That's not the question, just me waxing nostalgic. Let's reminisce about some of his dirty nursery rhymes. I'll give you the beginning of a rhyme and FTP you finish.
A) Little boy blue.....
A: _he needed the money_ Ohhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
B) There was an old woman who lived in a shoe, she had so many children.....
A: her _uterus fell_ out Ohhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
C) Little Miss Muffet sat on her tuffet eating her curds and whey, when along came a spider who sat down beside her and said.....
A: "What's in the bowl, bitch?" Ohhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
23. Given a description of an item of French cuisine, correctly spell the dish, ten points each.
A) From the French meaning "to blow", this dish is made from a sauce, egg yolks, beaten egg whites, and a flavoring, and is baked until puffed up. Answer: S-O-U-F-F-L-E
B) This soup, usually served cold, consists of pureed leeks and potatoes, cream, and chicken stock.
C) This heavily seasoned fish stew may remind you of a sport played on Alf's home planet of Melmac.