1996 Marion S. Barry, Jr., Mayor-for-Life Fraud Bowl
Questions by GWU Ministry of Silly Buzzes
1. "They're a good wholesome bunch" sang the talking piece of cereal in the theme song for this 1980's cereal. The commercial also had a little girl who indubitably tried and tried but just couldn't say "indubitably" in her efforts to describe just how delicious this cereal was. FTP name this cereal, also the punchline of many Branch Davidian jokes.
A: CRISPY CRITTERS
2. She had a one night stand with Martin Lewis on "Martin", and showed up on "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air" as the mother of Carlton's child (which turned out to be a lie). FTP name this actress who is best known as the unwilling object of Screech's affections on "Saved by the Bell".
A: Lark VORHEES
3. Among this scientist’s conceptual innovations was the idea of taking a common square and extending it into a theoretical dimension, creating a construct he initially named after himself. He also designed a death ray gun and an early supercomputer, and a graduate assistant of his had the idea for the first computer dating service. For ten points, name this two-dimensional genius, creator of the theoretical three-dimensional "cube," who hides behind cokebottle lenses on "The Simpsons."
A: Professor John FRINK
4. Leo is married to Shelly, but she's also dating Bobby, who's also dating Laura, who is seeing James behind Bobby's back. James's uncle Ed is married to Nadine, but seeing Norma, who owns the Double R Diner where Shelly works. FTP name the town where the diner is located, which is also the name of this series created by Mark Frost and David Lynch.
A: TWIN PEAKS
5. Welcome to hell! There’s almost everything you could want. Or you might prefer being in a full body cast in the hospital- but don’t worry, your roommate is a friendly sort. Then there’s the radio show
contest without a winner, and a man in a full body cast with a friendly roommate. All of these have one common factor, conspicuous by its absence. FTP, name the product promoted through hilarious TV ads, famous spokespersons, and a blue muppet-like creature.
6. In 1974, she was raped and murdered by her junior prom date, who dumped her body at her home. This makes her more famous bad date, in 1962, where she went to see a movie and fell asleep on her boyfriend, seem positively tame. For ten points, name this unfortunate girl, who appears in "Excitable Boy" by Warren Zevon and as the title character of a song by the Everly Brothers.
A: Little SUSIE
7. With the visitors down 13-7 on the last play of the game, Frenchy Fuqua lined up in the flanker’s position as part of the "Hail Mary" play. Fuqua got open a step ahead of Raider great Jack Tatum, but when the ball got to him, Tatum flattened Fuqua and the ball flew free. What happened next in the 1975 AFC playoff game was nothing short of a miracle. Fuqua’s downfield blocker Franco Harris caught the ball at shoelace level, scooped it up, and ran for Pittsburgh’s game winning touchdown. For ten points, what name is given to this amazing play?
A: The IMMACULATE RECEPTION
8. When the police raided his parents’ house, among the items they confiscated was the family VCR and tapes, one of which showed him doing a Las Vegas-style lounge singer act while wearing a motorized bow tie with flashing lights. You can tell from that that he’s a classy guy, but what else would you expect from someone nicknamed "Bong Bong?" For ten points, name this man, spared the most embarrassing element of the police raid on Malanacang Palace- the seizure of his mother’s 3000 shoes.
A: FERDINAND MARCOS, JR. (accept "Bong Bong" on an early buzz)
9. "[Elvis] was okay, but he had great taste in clothes." So this woman said, when asked whether a fondness for the King explained her taste for white sequined jumpsuits. Small wonder, then, that one critic described her as "the down side of NAFTA." For ten points, name this French-Canadian chanteuse, who sings the omnipresent "Its All Coming Back To Me Now."
A: CELINE DION
10. One scholar noted that they can be distinguished from other primates because they have no grooming rituals, and also observed that males of lower status in the pack have little chance of mating, as males outnumber females by a huge margin. This despite another observers claim that their high intelligence and earning potential makes them prime marriage material, citing Bill Gates and MacGyver as models. For ten points, name these creatures, as described by Dogbert and Scott Adams.
A: ENGINEERS (Prompt, I suppose, on an early buzz of "Humans" or equivalent)
11. "Burning Rubber Tires", "Tibby, oh Tibby", the "Hike Your Pants Up" song, "Ode to Kim Cattrall", "Ode to Estelle", the Wild Rebels breakfast cereal jingle, "Bouncy Gamera Song", and "Fugitive Alien Song Medley" were all performed during skits in this show. FTP, name this show which is moving from Comedy Central to the Sci-Fi channel.
A: MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000
12. Just before the gas phase is achieved by the required liter or so of matrix, add the special pre-provided complex carbohydrate elements. Within 11 to 13 minutes, the carbohydrate elements should have become partially permeated with the matrix, a state that can be ascertained by their lack of turgor . Remove excess matrix, and add the required fatty esters, colloidal suspension, and, of course, the special cheese sauce mix. FTP, you've just made 4 servings of what fabulous Kraft pasta project?
A: MACARONI and CHEESE
13. This national corporation got into trouble last year for alleged discrimination towards a customer by a security guard, who was asked for a receipt for the shirt he wore into the store. It originally began as a hunting and fishing equipment store and their products were worn and used by Charles Lindbergh. Today it sells sporting equipment, sports wear, office wear, and home furnishings. FTP, name this national chain based in Washington State.
A: EDDIE BAUER
14. In the seventh inning of game four of the 1929 World Series, he misplayed 2 balls in the outfield because he left his sunglasses in the dugout. This allowed the Philadelphia Athletics to overcome an 8-0 deficit en route to winning the series four games to one. This portly Cub still holds the National League record of 56 home runs in a season. For ten points, name this man who in 1930 set a major-league record with 190 RBIs.
A: Hack WILSON
15. After a weird courtship conducted in shouted comments in between one’s efforts to book the other for repeated charges of armed robbery, they decided to marry and wanted to start a family, but couldn't have children. The next logical step was taken- kidnap one of the quintuplets born to a rich local furniture store owner. FTP, name this Coen Bros. film that has one of the best chase scenes in film today, starring Holly Hunter and the eloquently spoken Nicholas Cage.
A: RAISING ARIZONA
16. A giant silvery fly-like insect fights against a mysterious triangular foe. The enemy cowers behind shields, but the insect is capable of wearing down the shields with rocks, or even eating them. Touching the
enemy or eating a part of the shield allows the insect to fire a rainbow missile capable of destroying its foe. For ten points, name this game, one of the first second generation games for the Atari 2600.
A: YAR’S REVENGE
17. "Tasteless 3-d sex. Rhode Island satanism. California Anarchy Party. My brain hurts. My crummy boss is too evil. Save the earth? Destroy the earth. Pave the earth." For ten points, adding what three letters fifteen times to the preceding disjointed rant will create fifteen usenet newsgroups in what has been called the sewer of usenet, also the current prefix of the College Bowl group?
A: ALT (accept "Alternative" and/or the addition of "(news)groups" or "hierarchy" on an early buzz)
18. They have done more than anyone else to destroy the old-fashioned Christmas spirit and replace it with a newfangled one. While they will burn in purgatory for "Disco Bells," they ought to receive an indulgence for their best-known work. For ten points, name this duo responsible for "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer."
A: PATSY and ELMO (accept ELMO and PATSY)
19. Stars of this TV show included William Daniels and Ed Begley, Jr. This hit show had characters who faced AIDS, when AIDS was not yet understood. As a predecessor to today's ER, this show was a long running medical drama based on the Boston public hospital St. Eligus. FTP, name this critically acclaimed '80's drama.
A: ST. ELSEWHERE
20. She's the creation of Jamie Hewlett and Alan Martin and made her first appearance in issue #1 of "Deadline." Once a member of an Australian military organization, she was declared a criminal after failing to deliver a colostomy bag to an aging Australian president with bowel troubles. FTP, name this comic heroine, whose boyfriend is a kangaroo and who was the title character of a film starring Lori Petty and Malcolm McDowell.
A: TANK GIRL
21. The unusual name of her first album is the place where she worked before hitting it big- a prime "busking" spot in the New York City subway system. For ten points, name this singer whose first album is called "Between the 1 and the 9," and whose songs include "Inside" and "Treat me Like Dirt"
A: Patti ROTHBERG
22. This curly-haired catcher, nicknamed The Kid, hit over 300 career home runs and is currently demonstrating batting tips at EPCOT Center. For 10 points, name this former Met, the starting catcher for their 1986 World Champion team.
A: Gary CARTER
23. Three members of her support squad committed suicide after her fame failed to help them, and her story was satirized in a "Simpsons" episode where Krusty the Clown and Sting collaborated on a benefit song for a mystery boy who was actually Bart; the poetically-titled "We’re Sending Our Love Down A Well." For ten points, name this Texan, a little girl who was trapped in a well for 2 days.
A: Jessica McCLURE
1. (20) Since getting more commercial today's NBA is a myriad of colors, most of them ugly. For 5 points apiece, given the team name, give me the home uniform colors... exclude black or white.
A: TEAL, GOLD (accept YELLOW for Gold)
A: LIGHT BLUE, RED
A: GREEN, YELLOW, RED (Prompt if they only give two)
A: PURPLE, RED
2. (30) The girls of Bel-Air! Given her role on "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air" and some other work, name the actress for the stated number of points.
A-5) She first appeared as Will's friend that he wouldn't date because she was overweight, and a season later played an obnoxious actress with Hillary as her personal secretary. She stars in the new movie "Set It Off", and in the Fox show "Living Single"
A: QUEEN LATIFAH (Dawn Lewis is acceptable)
B-10) She was Will's boss at the college eatery on "Fresh Prince", and played a different college student killed by a skin head in John Singleton's "Higher Learning".
A: Tyra BANKS
C-15) Will needed to find a date for his recently divorced teacher, so Will, Hillary, the teacher, and this actress attended the opera. She also starred as a high school witch in last year's film "The Craft".
A: Rachel TRUE
3. (20) "I want to WHAT you like an animal?" Answer the following Nine Inch Nails related questions for up to fifteen points each:
A) Give the singer’s first, middle, and last names. You will lose five points if you can’t name any, get nothing for one, five for two, or fifteen for all three.
A: MICHAEL TRENT REZNOR
B) This masochistic performance artist was tortured in the "Happiness In Slavery" Video. He died in 1995 from complications from Cystic Fibrosis.
A: Bob FLANIGAN
A-30) In 1990, drug dealer Brett Kimberlin claimed to have sold him marijuana, but the U.S. Justice Department decided to hold Kimberlin incommunicado in solitary confinement for his sentence, and the story fizzled out except for a brief stint in "Doonesbury."
A-20) When lobbyist Paula Parkinson claimed she’d had sex with him in exchange for his vote in the Senate, he denied it, and his wife supported him, saying that anyone who knew her husband would know that he "would rather play golf than have sex any day."
A-10) Most of his scandals deal not with drugs or sex, but stupidity, as in quotes like "What a waste to lose one’s mind. Or not to have a mind at all. What a waste it is."
A: J. Danforth ("Dan") QUAYLE
5. (30) This is one of those chain kind of bonuses. Answer the following FTP each.
A) First, the creator of "Mr. CIA" Jack Ryan, and the actor who portayed a sadistic prison guard in "The Shawshank Redemption" and the sadist Kurgan in "Highlander".
A: TOM CLANCY BROWN
B) The actor who fell out a window in "Amazon Women on the Moon," and the musical duo from the 80's who spelled out the "Method of Modern Love".
A: ARSENIO HALL AND OATES
C) The actress who looked into "The Abyss" and played Maid Marian in Kevin Costner's version of Robin Hood, and the actor who starred in the sequel to "El Mariachi" and plays Che Guevara in the upcoming film "Evita".
A: MARY ELIZABETH MASTRANTONIO BANDERAS
6. (25) Computers have been around long enough now to have "classic" computer programs. Identify the following computer games for five points each, with a five point bonus for all five.
A) In this damned early low-sophistication economic simulation, your mother will always buy one unit of the titular good from you, no matter what the cost- enabling you to make millions from your front yard.
B) In this early text game, you must track an invisible creature through a variety of mazes, deducing its location from the density of tracks before you fire one of your three arrows.
A: HUNT THE WUMPUS
C) In this game, you must bring a wagon train west. You may have had to hunt for game, a feat accomplished by typing "bang."
A: OREGON TRAIL
D) In this game, Broderbund’s biggest pre-Loderunner hit, you must rescue prisoners from a detention camp with a helicopter that can drop bombs or strafe, but not both.
7. (30) 30-20-10 name the man.
A-30) He had a cameo in one episode of "The Golden Girls," and was an uncredited writer on "Crimson Tide."
B-20) He had a minor role in "Reservoir Dogs," and also helped to write "It’s Pat."
C-10) He wrote the script for "True Romance", and won an Oscar in 1995 for Best Original Screenplay.
A: Quentin TARANTINO
8. (30) Time for some Sandman stuff. Given the "sigal", the symbol they use for communication, of six of the Endless, name them for five points each.
A) A mess of colors and shapes.
B) Early in the series a sword, later on just a blank space.
C) A World War one era gas mask.
D) A heart.
E) An Ankh.
F) A snake like ring, sharp enough to pull eyes out with.
9. (30) The Seattle grunge scene, for all of its mediocrity, preempted another British Invasion in 1990 and 1991. Name the Britpop bands that released the following albums around the time Nirvana hit it big for 10 points each. If you need a (s)hit single off the album, you'll get 5 points.
A-10) Schubert Dip
B-5) "Right Here, Right Now"
A: _JESUS JONES_
C-10) Pills 'n' Thrills 'n' Bellyaches
C-5) "Step On"
A: _HAPPY MONDAYS_
10. (20) Do you love the Olympics? I know I do. Given an American athlete, give the sport they participated in. Five points each.
11. (30) (in a Homer Simpson type voice, if possible) Mmmmm....beer bonus. Given the clues, identify the type of beer FTPE.
A) When this type of beer is made, the yeast settles to the bottom, and it is fermented at temperatures under 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
B) There are three classes of this type of beer. The Imperial and Dry and known for their bitterness, but the Sweet usually has added sugar.
C) This sour wheat beer is usually served in a wine glass. The microorganisms used in fermentation are found only in Belgium, about 15 miles south of Brussels.
12. (30) Few actors in "Pink Floyd-The Wall" (the movie) were in many other films. Name the actors given their characters for the stated number of points, with a five point bonus for all correct.
A-5) Pink's manager, who explained to the hotel manager "the boy's an asthmatic" when they found him unconscious in his hotel room. He's one of the few actors in "The Wall" to appear in many other films, including "Who Framed Roger Rabbit," "Hook," and "Super Mario Bros."
A: Bob HOSKINS
B-10) Pink, aka the guy who shaved off his eyebrows. He also shared the screen with a bunch of former Monty Python players in "The Secret Policemen's Private Parts"
A: Bob GELDOF
C-10) The groupie who goes home with Pink and gets to watch lots of hotel furniture be destroyed. She's also in "Young Guns II" and "St. Elmo'sFire."
A: Jenny WRIGHT
13. (30) Its time for a chain bonus. This one will be a short linkage. Given the brief description of two actors form a chain with their names. Ten points apiece.
A) He was the little child start of an ABC sitcom in the 80's in which he was adopted by the Papodopolouses, and although having a distinguished career, we'll know him best from his role in all the Iron Eagle movies
A: EMMANUEL LEWIS GOSSET, JR.
B) He used to be on Trapper John, MD but left after a cocaine addiction put him in Betty Ford, and like a fine wine he has only gotten better since the days of American Graffiti.
A: GREGORY HARRISON FORD
3. Recently this star of War of the Roses worked opposite Demi Moore in Disclosure, and a well known film star of the 20's this man starred as Zorro and D'Artagnana and the Thief of Bagdad.
A: MICHAEL DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS, Sr.
14. (30) Identify the following serial killers given a brief description, for the stated number of points.
A-5) This mass murderer’s paintings of clowns have become valuable collectibles. Through the mid- and late seventies, he lured adolescent boys and young men home with him, tortured slaughtered them, and buried them around his house.
A: John Wayne GACY
B-10) This man killed more than 200 people in the late 1800's. He built a mansion in Chicago, and used different construction crews for different sections of the house so that only he knew where the many trap door and tunnels went. People sho answered his employment ads and room for rent offers generally ended up dead. Name this man, whose gruesome house was burned down near the turn of the century.
A: Herman Webster MUDGETT (also accept H.H. HOLMES)
C-15) He was nicknamed "the Red Ripper", and it is possible the Soviet police would have never caught up with him had he not decided to receive oral sex from a prostitute in a bus station while sitting across from a police officer. Name this man who used business trips as a way to kill people all over the Soviet Union, usually leaving a very messy crime scene in his wake.
A: Andrei CHIKATILO
15. (30) There are many shows in which the vehicle is synonymous with the TV show itself. For the states number of points, given a brief description of the automobile, you tell me the show from which it came.
A-10) A black GMC van with a red racing stripe going up the side at an angle.
A: The A-TEAM
B-15) A red Ford Torino with a white racing stripe up at an angle
A: STARSKY AND HUTCH
C-5) A psychedelic green and yellow van.
A: SCOOBY DOO
16. (30) Beatle Bonus! Answer the following questions about the four lads from Liverpool for the stated number of points.
A-3) This is Ringo Starr's full real name.
A: RICHARD STARKEY
B-3) Name the only Beatle that has never been divorced.
A: Paul MCARTNEY
C-8) John Lennon had an odd relationship with his mother, and wrote about it in an odd song. Name his mother or the song.
A: JULIA Lennon
D-16) John Lennon’s maternal aunt was more like a mother to John than Julia Lennon. Name her.
A: MIRIAM Lennon
17. (20) Remember when Compuserve stopped its newsgroups in Germany because of the sex related posts? Well, if not, you still could get some points on this bonus, because one of the groups Compuserve axed had nothing to do with sex stories or pictures at all, it just had sex in the title.
A) First, FTP, name the actor the newsgroup was about. His narrations include "The Nightmare Before Christmas" soundtrack and a recently released account of "Peter and the Wolf"
A: Patrick STEWART
B) The group was all about Captain Picard. For an additional ten points, can you name the newsgroup?
18. (30) Roseanne is such a big fan of "Absolutely Fabulous" she doesn't just watch the show, she bought the right to make an American version. Answer these Ab Fab related questions for the stated number of points.
A-10) For 5 points each, name the two CBS series based on the show. Hint: One is still on the air, the other was canceled after a brief run last season.
A: CYBIL, HIGH SOCIETY
B-15) This actress played Edina's ditsy secretary Bubble, as well as a Vampire-hating Zombie on an episode of "Tales from the Crypt".
A: Jane HORROCKS
19. (30) There's always room for a Jell-O bonus. Answer the following questions having something to do with this classic American foodstuff for ten points each.
A) This band was forced to change its name because the Jello people weren't happy with having its name included as part of theirs. Give the band's current name.
A: GREEN JELLY
B) She cooked up some of the jiggly stuff every Sunday for two Russian cosmonauts. Name this astronaut.
A: Shannon LUCID
C) Mix Jell-O, vodka, and some schnapps or triple sec, and you get what tasty treat?
A: JELL-O SHOOTER
20. (30) Many sports teams within the four professional leagues of the NBA,
NHL, MLB, and NFL share the same team name. For four points apiece give
the two cities which share the team name, and the team name.
A: SAN FRANCISCO and NEW YORK GIANTS
_ST. LOUIS and ARIZONA CARDINALS
NEW YORK and TEXAS RANGERS
CAROLINA and FLORIDA PANTHERS
HOUSTON and EDMONTON OILERS