Round 3 -- The Most Important Quiz Bowl Team...Ever (UMCP) – Beltway IV
1. She designed her own home in Brazil, (*) whose people and music inspired her last album for Arista, 1994's "Watercolors of Brazil". The first artist to win Grammys for Best Female Pop and Best Female R&B Performance, from 1963 to 1971 she teamed with Burt Bacharach and Hal David for such hit songs as "Reach Out for Me", "This Girl's in Love with You", "I Say a Little Prayer", "Walk On By", and "Do You Know The Way To San Jose". FTP, what singer's 1985 hit could be retitled "That's What Psychic Friends are For"?
Answer: Dionne _Warwick_
2. His father Tam(*) found him shortly after his birth at the battle of Tar Valon, and took him back to the Two Rivers. He was unaware of his heritage until Tam confessed it while raving because of a wound inflicted by Trollocs on Winternight. FTP, name this hero of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, who is the Dragon Reborn.
Answer: _Rand_ al'Thor (prompt on the Dragon Reborn)
3. His most recent tattoo reads "Bad Ass Yellow Boy,"(*) a term for light-skinned black guys in his hometown of Dallas, where he attended Bryan Adams High. The leading scorer and rebounder on the U.S. team at last summer's World University Games, he has led his team to a near-perfect record this season, losing only to crosstown rival Xavier. FTP, name this national Player of the Year candidate for Cincinnati, whose nickname is "K-Mart".
Answer: Kenyon _Martin_
4. His parents are King Randor(*) and Queen Marlena. Like his fraternal twin Adora, he is half human and half Eternian. He has a cowardly tiger named Cringer, but the tiger becomes the mighty Battle Cat whenever he says "By the power of Grayskull...I have the power!" FTP, name this
adversary of Skeletor on the 80s cartoon "Masters of the Universe".
Answer: _He-Man_ or Prince _Adam_
5. Four of its teams--the Chicago Hornets, Los Angeles Dons,(*) Brooklyn/NY Yankees, and Buffalo Bills--were eliminated after the 1949 season, and the Baltimore Colts folded after the 1950 season. However, the San Francisco 49ers and Cleveland Browns, which won all four of this
league's championships, successfully made the transition to the NFL. FTP, name this defunct football league.
Answer: _All-America Football Conference_ or _AAFC_
6. Dimension of the Doomed, Realm of Black Magic,(*) Netherworld, and The Elder World are the four episodes of this game. Weapons include the Thunderbolt, Perforator, and Railgun, as well as the Rocket Launcher and Shotgun which should be familiar to players of Doom, this game's predecessor. FTP, name this computer game from Id Software, whose music and sound effects were produced by Trent Reznor.
7. The series begins with the story of Caroline and Nicolai's marriage(*) and the supposed death of the familiy's matriarch, Kate. Although each installment is about a family member's romance, there is a common storyline about the secrets and scandals that have plagued the family. FTP, name this family from a popular multi-author series by Sillioutte which spawned two additional series--"The ____ Brides" and "The ____ of Texas."
8. 1980 Preakness winner Codex;(*) 1985 Preakness winner Tank's Prospect; 1988 Kentucky Derby winner Winning Colors; 1994 Belmont Stakes winner Tabasco Cat; 1995 Kentucky Derby and Belmont winner Thunder Gulch; 1996 Kentucky Derby winner Grindstone; and 1999 Kentucky Derby winner
Charismatic. FTP, these are just a few of the Triple Crown victories for what trainer?
Answer: D. Wayne _Lukas_
9. Starring Alexander Dane, Fred Kwan, Gwen DeMarco and Jason Nesmith,(*) this show ran for three years. It followed the adventures of Commander Taggard and the rest of the crew of the Protector. However, aliens called Thermians mistook the show for real life and modelled their
civilization around it, so the misguided fools kidnap the actors onto a real spaceship. FTP, name the fictitious TV show and you'll name the 1999 movie starring Enrico Colantoni, Sigourney Weaver, and Tim Allen.
Answer: _Galaxy Quest_
10. Thou shall not think you got it like that;(*) Thou shall not hate; Thou shall confess; Thou shall get your party on; Thou shall say my name; Thou shall not bug; and thou shall pay bills. These are some of the commandments found on "The Writing's on the Wall," the second album
by this group. FTP, name this R&B group known for their songs "Bug a Boo" and "Bills Bills Bills".
Answer: _Destiny's Child_ (accept "The Writing's on the Wall" before it is mentioned)
11. This team won the first Toyota Cup,(*) or World Club Championship, in 1960, and won the first five European Cups from 1956 to 1960. This season has been something of a disappointment, however, as they are currently eighth in La Liga, despite new acquistions Elvir Balic, Steve
McManaman, and former Arsenal bad boy Nicolas Anelka. FTP, what team won the 1998 European Cup and plays in the capital of Spain?
Answer: _Real Madrid_
12. "He'll welcome you into his lair, like the nobleman welcomes his guest,(*) with free dental care and a stock plan that helps you invest." That's from a song about a guy who claims to have been the first to wear jeans with a sport coat, enjoys "fun runs", gave one of his employees the Denver Broncos as a going-away present, and destroyed the 59th Street Bridge in New York with a "Doomsday Device". FTP, name this CEO of Globex Corporation and one-time employer of Homer Simpson.
Answer: Hank _Scorpio_
13. When serving this dish, it is traditional to tell your guests that they will be eating a bird with vestigial wings(*) and three legs, one of which is shorter than the other two. This is probably a good idea, because if they knew what they were really eating, you'd lose a lot of friends quickly. Sometimes considered the world's first boil-in-bag convenience food, it is usually prepared with salt, pepper, onion, sugar, ginger, oatmeal, and a sheep's heart, liver, and stomach. FTP, what is this Scottish "delicacy"?
14. He broke his trampoline and his gravity boots and accidentally killed his cat.(*) He has also used a Thighmaster, lit a bunch of candles during a blackout, and decorated a Christmas tree with huge balls. We first saw him when he almost died in his hammock, and we saw him again last season, when he moved out of his apartment and Ross Geller moved in. FTP, what "Friends" character did Rachel's mother refer to as "unattractive nude man"?
Answer: _Ugly Naked Guy_
15. 5,000 points is a winning score(*) in this game. A shutout is worth 500 points, a safe trip is worth 300, each coup-fourre [coo for-RAY] is worth 300, and each safety card is worth 100. Basically, the object of the game is to complete an automobile trip of 1,000 miles while avoiding
hazards like flat tires and stop signs. FTP, what is this card game you might have played in a high school French class, whose name is French for "1,000 milestones"?
Answer: _Mille Bornes_
16. Nicknamed "The Kitten" because of his fondness for cats, this pitcher(*) began his career with the Cardinals in 1952. He also pitched for the Phillies, Reds, and Orioles and won two games in the 1960 World Series, including the famous seventh game, but he is best known for the
game he pitched in Milwaukee on May 26, 1959. FTP, what Pirate pitcher finally gave up a home run to Joe Adcock in the 13th after pitching 12 perfect innings?
Answer: Harvey _Haddix_
17. From 1992 to 1996, he was absolute ruler of more than a quarter of Earth, from South Asia to the Middle East. After he was overthrown, he and his followers escaped Earth in a DY-100(*) sleeper ship, the S.S. Botany Bay. His people were awakened in 2267, and after a period of exile on Ceti Alpha V, they commandered the starship Reliant and stole the experimental Genesis Device. FTP, who is this nemesis of James T. Kirk and title character of the second Star Trek movie?
Answer: _Khan_ Noonien Singh
18. Married to "City of Angels" director Brad Silberling,(*) this actress has appeared in the films "Casper", "Bye Bye Love", "Heat", and "Your Friends & Neighbors". However, she is better known for her TV roles, including Dr. Crane's Jewish girlfriend Faye on "Frasier", Officer Janice Licalsi on NYPD Blue, and her new hit show, on which her mother is a technical consultant. FTP, who plays the title role on "Judging Amy"?
Answer: Amy _Brenneman_
19. If you go to his web site, you can vote on what his first words should be,(*) read about his "birth" in Chicago in 1958, and discover that he's known as Don Limpio in Spain and Portugal. He's 6' 3", bald, wears a white T-shirt and an earring, and was created as the embodiment of the husband who actually helps his wife with the housework. FTP, name this Procter & Gamble creation, who "gets rid of dirt and grime and grease in just a minute."
Answer: _Mr. Clean_
20. After a college DJ played one of his songs, he was fined $25,000 by the FCC for what the president of the university called "the most indecent thing ever heard."(*) Born on Super Bowl Sunday in 1971 as Robert James Ritchie, he began his career opening for Ice Cube and Too $hort, who produced his first album, "Grits Sandwiches for Breakfast", in 1990. His other albums include "Fire It Up", "The Polyfuze Method", and "Early Mornin' Stoned Pimp". FTP, name this rocker/rapper, whose most recent album "Devil Without A Cause" contains his hit songs "Only God
Knows Why", "Cowboy", and "Bawitdaba".
Answer: _Kid Rock_
21. A box is opened. Pieces fly away.(*) And seven mythical Tricksters, including Puck, Eris, and Maui, escape to wreak havoc on the world. So begins a game designed by Alexey Pajintov. FTP, name this game from Microsoft when the object is to solve puzzles to recapture the pieces and return them to the title place.
Answer: _Pandora's Box_
22. Created by Edward Stratemyer,(*) this series of books was originally written by Canadian newspaper writer Leslie McFarlane. Since its beginning, this series of children books has spawned 3 TV series, comic books and stage plays. FTP, name this series of books for boys that
tell the adventures of two brothers from Bayport.
Answer: The _Hardy Boys_
2000 Beltway Bandits
Questions by The Most Important Quiz Bowl Team...Ever
1. In response to all those lists of the century's greatest athletes,
David Hyde of the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel has compiled a list of
the century's worst athletes. Identify the athlete from his position on
the list and Hyde's description FFPE.
a. #2; She took the ultimate in career short cuts at the Boston
Answer: Rosie _Ruiz_
b. #3 1/2; "The best darn midget who ever played big-league ball,"
according to St. Louis Browns owner Bill Veeck.
Answer: Eddie _Gaedel_
c. #22; Oakland As designated runner.
Answer: Herb _Washington_
d. #24; The only view of him all century was standing in the water at
the British Open.
Answer: Jean _Van de Velde_
e. #28; Dennis Rodman's valet.
Answer: Jack _Haley_
f. #30; Two NBA seasons, no assists.
Answer: Yinka _Dare_
2. You can never go wrong with stupid political quotes. Answer the following FTP each.
a. When accused of failing to pay taxes, this former New York City mayor said, "I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law."
Answer: David _Dinkins_
b. "If Lincoln were alive today, he'd roll over in his grave." "Things are more like they are now than they have ever been." These are some bon mots from what former President?
Answer: Gerald _Ford_
c. Who said in 1994: "If I could be the condom queen and get every young person in the United States who is engaging in sex to use a condom, I would wear a crown on my head with a condom on it?"
Answer: Joycelyn _Elders_
3. Answer the following concerning Weird Al Yankovic's latest album, _Running with Scissors_, FTP each.
a. This worst song on the whole album is three minutes of generic drag humor.
b. The last song on the album is an 11 1/2-minute opus about what American city, which Al describes as "a magical faraway place where the sun is always shining and the air smells like warm root beer and the
towels are oh so fluffy where the Shriners and the lepers play their ukeleles all day long and anyone on the street'll gladly shave your back for a nickel?"
c. According to "It's All About the Pentiums", "You're just about as useless as jpegs [jay-pegs] to" whom?
Answer: Helen _Keller_
4. FTSNOP, given the supermodel, identify her country of origin.
a. 5 pts: Naomi Campbell
Answer: _England_ or U.K. or whatever
b. 5 pts: Laetitia Casta
c. 10 pts: Valeria Mazza
d. 10 pts: Carmen Kass
5. FTP each, given the quiz bowler who appeared on "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?", identify the other quiz bowler he called as a lifeline.
a. Adam Fine
Answer: Roger _Craig_
b. Rick Grimes
Answer: James _Dinan_
c. Jason Dettelbach
Answer: David Scott _Hamilton_ (What up, Regis?)
6. Identify these college football coaches from the places they coached on a 10-5 basis.
a. 10 pts: Stamford, 1959-1962; West Virginia, 1970-75
5 pts: Florida State, 1976-present
Answer: _B_obby _Bowden_
b. 10 pts: Denison, 1946-48; Miami-OH, 1949-50
5 pts: Ohio State, 1951-1978
Answer: Woody _Hayes_
c. 10 pts: SMU, 1962-72; North Texas, 1973-78
5 pts: Iowa, 1979-1998
Answer: Hayden _Fry_ (do not accept Hayden Fox)
7. FTSNOP, given the setting, name the fantasy author who created it.
a. 5 pts: Xanth
Answer: Piers _Anthony_
b. 10 pts: Gwynned
Answer: Katherine _Kurtz_
c. 5 pts: Amber
Answer: Roger _Zelazny_
d. 10 pts: Adrilankha
Answer: Stephen _Brust_
8. How much attention do you pay to the food stands in the mall? FTP each, given a description of a food stand often found in a mall, name it.
a. Billed as the ice cream of the future, this chain features ice cream in an unusual form.
Answer: _Dippin Dots_
b. This chain began as a stand at an Amish farmers' market, where its product was voted Best Soft Pretzel of Lancaster County.
Answer: _Auntie Anne_'s
c. This chain features a beverage called Mochalatta Chill, as well as its main product, which has 670 calories and 34 grams of fat per serving.
9. Conan O'Brien once said that in the year 2000, Bill Paxton and Bill Pullman would finally give up and become the same person. It hasn't happened yet, so FFPE, given the movie, identify whether it starred Bill
Paxton, Bill Pullman, both, or neither.
Answer: Bill _Paxton_
d. "Apollo 13"
Answer: Bill _Paxton_
Answer: Bill _Pullman_
f. "Sleepless in Seattle"
Answer: Bill _Pullman_
10. FTP each, identify the numerical value of the following NBA records. For example, if I said "Points in a game" you would say 100. You will receive five points if you are within 1.
a. Scott Skiles' record for assists in a game
b. Elmore Smith's record for blocked shots in a game
c. Larry Kenon's record for steals in a game
11. In the classic arcade game Ms. Pac-Man, a fruit would occasionally float around the board the hopes of distracting the player from eating dots. For 0 points for one, 5 for two, and 5 more for each one after
that, name the seven fruit bonuses that appear in the game
Answer: _cherry_, _strawberry_, _orange_, _pretzel_, _apple_, _pear_, _banana_
12. Given some songs from a 70s album, name it FTP each.
a. "Don't Stop", "Go Your Own Way", "Gold Dust Woman"
b. "Cocaine", "Lay Down Sally", "Peaches and Diesel"
c. "Adam's Apple", "Sweet Emotion", "Round and Round"
Answer: _Toys in the Attic_
13. Some racetracks are fortunate enough to host not one but two NASCAR events. Given a pair of events on the Winston Cup 2000 schedule, identify the town or city where they will be held FTP each.
a. Food City 500, Goracing.com 500
Answer: _Bristol_, TN
b. Diehard 500, Winston 500
Answer: _Talladega_, AL
c. MBNA Platinum 400, MBNA Gold 400
Answer: _Dover_, DE
14. Identify the following people who have hosted Wheel of Fortune,
a. For 5 points for one and 20 for both, name the original host and
letter-turner on Wheel of Fortune when it premiered in 1974.
Answer: Chuck _Woolery_ and Susan _Stafford_
b. FTP, what former NFL kicker, who kicked the game-winning field goal
in the famous San Diego-Miami playoff game in 1982, briefly hosted the
NBC daytime version in 1989?
Answer: Rolf _Benirschke_
15. FTP each, sign the following letters.
Answer: fingers in a fist, thumb extended
Answer: index and middle fingers crossed and pointed to (moderator's)
left; remaining fingers in a fist
Answexr: thumb and pinky form a Y; remaining fingers against palm of
hand (sort of a "hang ten" kind of thing)
16. Identify these terms from various card games, 5-10-15.
a. In bridge, this is the term for when one side wins all 13 tricks.
Answer: _Grand Slam_
b. In poker, this is a series of four cards needing a card of interior
rank to complete the straight, e.g. 8,7,5,4.
Answer: _Inside_ straight
c. In pinochle, this is the term for a meld of the king and queen of
trumps. It is worth 40 points.
Answer: _Royal marriage_
17. FTP each, given TV Guide's summary of a 1987 movie, name it.
a. Kevin Bacon plays a sadist in charge of adolescents on a camping trip.
Answer: _White Water Summer_
b. Barry Levinson's comedy about aluminum-siding salesmen (Danny DeVito, Richard Dreyfuss) who turn a fender-bender into an ever-escalating feud.
Answer: _Tin Men_
c. A Blake Edwards farce with Bruce Willis as a businessman whose VIP dinner fizzles, thanks to his luscious companion (Kim Basinger).
Answer: _Blind Date_
18. Identify the winners of the SuperSkills competition at the 2000 NHL All-Star Game FTP each.
a. Hardest shot
Answer: Al _MacInnis_
b. Fastest skater
Answer: Sami _Kapanen_
c. Either of the players who tied in the most accurate shot competition
Answer: Victor _Kozlov_ or Ray _Bourque_
19. Name the author from works, 30-20-10.
a. "Henry Huggins", "Henry and the Paper Route"
b. "The Mouse and the Motorcycle", "Dear Mr. Henshaw"
c. "Ramona Quimby, Age 8"
Answer: Beverly _Cleary_
20. Answer the following concerning "The Dick Van Dyke Show" FTSNOP.
a. 5 pts: Rob Petrie worked as a comedy writer for what comedian's variety show? Carl Reiner reprised the role in an episode of Mad About You.
Answer: Alan _Brady_
b. 10 pts: What was the name of the Petries' annoying son?
c. 15 pts: In the classic episode "Coast-to-Coast Big Mouth", when Laura revealed on national TV than Alan was bald, to what demographic group did Laura suggest Alan give his toupees?
Answer: _Needy bald people_
21. FTSNOP, answer the following questions about a certain cookie company.
a. 5 pts: These bite-sized cookies began as a calling card for a talent agent.
Answer: _Famous Amos_ cookies
b. 10 pts: What is the first name of the so-called father of the gourmet cookie industry?
c. 15 pts: When Wally's company was bought out from under him, he tried to start a new company, but was told that he had no right to his name, so he changed his company's name. For 15 points, name it.
Answer: _Uncle Noname_
22. Who says that real literature doesn't belong in a trash tourney?
FTP each, name the novel or play that the following movies were based
1. "10 Things I Hate About You"
Answer: The _Taming of the Shrew_
3. "She's All That"